Friday, September 5, 2008

Back to School!

Grant's first day of school for 2008-2009 School Year!


Grant attends Liberty Grove Elementary in Rowlett to the Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities. It's for children 3-5 years old who are delayed significantly enough for it to be considered a disability. He started preschool in January 2007 right after he turned 3 (12/22). So for him it was back to school, as he started school a year and a half ago. He goes every day, Monday through Friday, from 8am-11am.

He has the same teacher and teacher's aides that he has had since he started. Ms. Patsy is his teacher and Grant loves her! She is very sweet and we are so grateful that we share a common faith in the Lord. This picture was taken at the end of last year, just a few months ago:


The first few weeks have gone great. He is happy to be back in school again. Every day when I pick him up I always ask him how his day was, what did he do, was he a good boy, did he play with Jacky (his little buddy), etc. The first year I didn't get any response from him at all other than him listening to me. But everyday I would always talk to him as if he would talk back. Sometime last year, I think it was early spring, he started nodding his head "yes" to certain questions and would give me some verbal response, although most times I couldn't understand him - but he was trying and he would listen.

This year is so awesome: on the way home from the first day I asked him my usual questions and guess what! He pretty much answered, or tried to answer, all of my questions - and for the most part I understood him! Our conversation went like this:

Me: Grant, did you have a good day?
Grant: nods head
Me: What did you do?
Grant: verbal response but not understandable
Me: Did you have a snack?
Grant: nods head
Me: What did you have?
Grant, smiling: Ta tar! (crackers)
Me: Oooh, you had crackers?
Grant: nods head yes
Me: Did you work with Ms. Patsy?
Grant: nods head yes
Me: What did you do?
Grant, smiling again and gesturing with fingers and thumb opening and closing: ti tors
Me: what?
Grant: ti tors!
Me: color?
Grant: shakes head no
Me: what, say it again?
Grant: TI TORS!
Finally I get it: Scissors??
Grant, happy and smiling: nods head yes

The next day I checked with Patsy if he had crackers for snack and if he worked with her on cutting and sure enough he had! Wow. This has been what it is like everyday since August 25 and I am loving it. You could say this is one of the first times that I have had an ongoing conversation, going back and forth, where we both are understanding each other. It is beautiful and I love talking with my son. Sometimes when I don't understand him I'll say what I think he is trying to say and if I'm wrong he will quickly shake his head "no" and then try again. Sometimes he gets frustrated with me when I don't understand him and says it again in his growly voice (his voice when he is frustrated and not being understood). He is really trying so hard to communicate and talk to me. I am totally loving it!!!

6 comments:

mrs. rains & family said...

oh what a praise! melody, this made me so happy, i'm crying a bit. :-) i love you guys so much. grant makes us so proud. he's such a perfect little blessing. and you are the perfect mommy for him... so patient and strong and dedicated to learning how to be the best for grant. i'm so proud of you... you're amazing. i love watching him grow... can you believe we held him, so tiny and new, his first night home from the hospital on christmas eve... almost 5 years ago??? we weren't even engaged yet! and now look at him!... crazy... he's absolutely perfect.

love you guys!... keep up the good work, grant! (and mommy, too!)

Rodriguez_Family said...

I am full of joy reading your blog entry today. Praise God for this conversation, for Grant's accomplishments, for Grant, and for you guys being great parents to him.

Melissa said...

Yay! That is so awesome! We are excited for all of you guys!

Mikaela said...

What great improvments from just a year ago! Proud of you Grant and proud of you Mommy for being such a patient and loving mom!

The Scotts said...

Tell Grant that Mammy says WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love reading about the new things Grant is succeful at. I love being able to know what I can say that he can respond with his words.
totaly lovin it!

Curdie said...

Praise God!!!

I'm so happy for you Melody.