Friday, July 3, 2009

Icecream Date with Grant!

A couple weeks ago Grant and I went out for an ice cream treat, just the two of us. It was really nice and a sweet time with Grant. While most of my day is spent on Grant, I hardly ever have time with him to just enjoy Grant and to have one-on-one time with him. It's always working with him, redirecting him, disciplining him, checking on him (to see what trouble he is into), feeding him, etc., etc. So I desperately need time like this with Grant - time to just 'chill' and enjoy the sweet boy that he really is. Sometimes I feel like he is a different kid when it's just him and me.
He hadn't been to the ice cream shop before and he had fun picking out the candy to go in his ice cream. He had a hard time deciding between two different candy choices but he eventually decided on m&m's. Kate gets an m&m when she goes potty in the potty chair and so m&m's are a big deal around our house. So it was pretty cute that he picked those, since he doesn't get much at home but always asks for one. I have to tell him, "No, Kate gets one because she went pee-pee in the potty." You can imagine that he was pretty excited getting his own ice cream with m&m's in it. He ate it all up and then wanted to eat mine!
I really need to do more things like this with Grant. It wasn't much that we did but it sure was a sweet time together. He was such a sweet boy and I could tell he was really enjoying our little date!

2 comments:

mrs. rains & family said...

i love this post. :)

you are such a good mommy. i'm glad you got to have time to enjoy grant. i think every mom needs time like this with her kids... i know i feel the same way sometimes about emma - that i just need to breathe and relax and enjoy her.

good ice cream choice, too... coldstone is amazing! (founder's favorite is the best flavor!)

Angela said...

Hi, Melody - as a fellow "nacd-mom," I can totally relate to needing 'enjoyment' time with kids!! Some of my favorite memories are on our 'dates' as we call them. I loved reading about yours with Grant. Precious!
I really enjoy keeping up with how program is going for you ...
You are doing an awesome job!!!