Monday, August 3, 2009

What Happened to my Boy???

Normally Mondays around here are full of tiredness and crankiness. Today...today is a gift from above! And I just want to shout about it from the rooftops. Instead, I will just shout about it from my blog! :-)

All morning long Grant has been talking soooo much saying without any prompts, "I want water" "My name Grant" "I want more".

This morning at the beginning of tv time (in a dark room - one of our activities), Grant tells me he needs to go potty. So I said, "Ok" and check his diaper. It was dry! AND he went pee pee in the toilet!!! What hope this gives me!

THEN when our tv time was over (20 minutes) Grant asks to watch MORE tv!!! This is the kid for years wouldn't hardly watch any tv, to speak of, and when we started watching it daily as a program activity, we constantly had to tell him to sit still and watch tv pretty much the whole time we were watching tv. He has gotten a lot better over the summer, and we are having to tell him less and less to sit still and to watch tv. Usually now just when we are watching a new movie. So today when he asked to watch MORE tv, I was in shock! Wonders of wonders!

All of this encourages me to keep on keeping on with Grant's daily program activities. Sometimes I get beat down and tired of working with him because it is draining physically and mentally but mornings like this make it all worth it.

My boy is making progress, and boy do I love it!!! Praise the Lord!

I know it's not the greatest picture but this is what it looks like during our tv time in a dark room. This picture was taken a few months ago when some friends were over to play. Trying to get program done, we all watched tv for a little while. When the older boy found out Grant had a tv in his room (it stays in the closet and only comes out during tv time) he thought it was so cool that Grant had a tv in his room. :-) And then the younger one asked why it was dark in his room, I said, "So it will be like a movie theatre!" Hmm...ok. cool. At least that's what I know he was thinking by the expression on his face!

6 comments:

The Scotts said...

wow!!!! the things we take for granted around here! I have to tell my boys to turn off the tv!

I am so happy Grant is picking up on things!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Wow!!! Such exciting news! I am so proud of Grant (and you) and so happy for you!

Emily Minich said...

Mel, I am so glad the Lord is answering your prayers with a yes! So what is the goal of TV watching? The sitting still, or focusing? We have ISPs for our foster kids, but they work on things like lying and talking about problems instead of hitting walls. :)

Joel, Melody, Grant, and Kate said...

Emily, tv time in a dark room helps with developing central vision for Grant and it is helping with his focus and attention. The dark room part blocks out distractions from all around. It really is amazing the difference in attention going from a bright room to a dark room with Grant. Since doing tv time he is starting to watch it in a normal room and I can tell such a difference.

Curdie said...

Praise God!! Yay

Mikaela said...

Yahoo....praising God with you!