Thursday, April 17, 2008

Victory for the Week

Yesterday afternoon Joel came home from work, and Grant said for the very first time, "Hi, Dadda!" Then this morning he said to me, "Hi, MaMum", that's me. :-) He said "Hi" to me and I prompted him by mouthing "MaMum" and then he said it following "Hi." I tried to get him to say "Hi, Kate" but he could only say "Tatie," his name for Kate.

Now that is an interesting point. We call Kate either Katie-pie (like cutie-pie) or Kate. But Grant on his own started calling her "Tatie" about a month ago or so. It's pretty cute to hear him say it, as he always says it so sweetly.

This is a huge success for Grant. For many months he has been saying "Hi" and "Dadda" and "MaMum" but never "Hi, Dadda" or "Hi, MaMum." You can imagine how excited we are to hear our sweet boy begin to put two functioning words together in proper context. Baby steps. That's how it goes around here. We are rejoicing with the sounds of beautiful words!

A few other words he is putting together is "More wa-ah", for "More Water". He has also been saying several sentences: "I wan wa-ah", "I wan more", "I wan Dadda", "I wan u o to NaNa" (for I want to go to Nana's house).

He is also getting quite good at shaking his head "No" at just about everything. I have longed for him to say "No" to me for such a long time! Now we are working on obedience when it comes to something he has to do without him shaking his head "No". It's great when he can say no to something he doesn't want like more water or snack, but it's not so fun when I tell him to sit down in his chair at the table and he says "No" with shaking his head! :-)



This pic is from a few months back not related to this post but thought you'd enjoy it none the less. :-)

4 comments:

Mikaela said...

Yeah for Grant! Incredible accomplishments!

Lance and Sarah Keeling said...

Great post I loved the pics. too.

Anonymous said...

That's so wonderful, Melody!! You must be beside yourself with joy.
It is a precious thing when your child begins communicating with you, and you have waited so long for that. I know you've got to LOVE it.
God is so good!

love,
ann

The Chandler Clan said...

awesome! way to go, Grant! Melody- thanks for letting us rejoice with you.