Tuesday, August 12, 2008

a bloody nightmare

Intriguing title, huh? First I have to say that a few months ago I was talking to one of my friends who was telling me that from the outside looking in I have it together. While it is a nice complement, I will be the first to tell you that I don't! I quickly reassured her of my daily struggles and later realized how life really can come across all cute and wonderful in blogger world.

Now onto the story:

Last night Joel was cleaning up a few things in the garage and cut his foot. He bandaged it up and we thought that was the end of it. In the middle of the night Kate woke up crying and wouldn't go back to sleep. Joel, being the great dad that he is, went to go check on her and found she was soaking wet. He changed her and got her back into bed but she wouldn't settle down. So he went to the living room and was going to get her to sleep holding her on the sofa. At that point he checked on his foot, which ironically by the way doesn't hurt - weird, I know - and discovered it had started bleeding sometime after getting up. He then came to get me and said his foot was bleeding and blood was on the carpet. This was 2am.

I was in utter shock at the horrible sight I saw next: blood everywhere all over Kate's room, the living, and our bedroom. It was a bloody nightmare. Christina was here and awoke from sleeping on the sofa. She had come over because she watches the kids for me on Tuesday mornings when I teach piano lessons. So she and Kate went back to sleep in our bed and I sat on the sofa still in shock of blood everywhere. How in the world where we going to clean all of the blood up??? And it wasn't just in a spot here or there but everywhere! Next I called my brother David who works as a stocker at Kroger. I mean, who else to call at 2:30 in the morning? :-) Joel called his good friend Kevin who owns a janitorial company. No help from them other than to wait until the morning when we can get a Rug Dr. So from that point on we spot cleaned as much as we could. This included a trip to Wal-Mart at 3am. On my way into the store, I must have been a sight. Some guy walking out said to me, "Hey, it's not that bad. It's only 3 in the morning!" He was in too good of a mood for 3 am and if he only knew...

We cleaned until 5:30 and then went to get more spot cleaner at Wal-Mart and then went to Tom Thumb to get a Rug Dr. when they opened at 6. Then home to clean carpets which was until 10ish this morning. I canceled my lessons for the morning, finished cleaning the carpets, showered, and then we all went to my mom's house for the rest of the day since Joel and I needed sleep and our carpets were all wet.

We slept from 11:30-3:30. Sleep never felt so good! When we came home this evening most of the carpets were dry but there are still quite a few spots in Kate's room and some in our room. Also there is one spot that isn't too bad in the living room. Kevin has a guy who is coming next week who is promised to get it all out. In the mean time I'm tired and am off to bed. This has been one of the weirdest days. Thank goodness tomorrow is a new day... ;-)

3 comments:

steele family said...

Melody! I can't imagine!!

Ashley said...

Hilarious! Only Joel...

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. My daughter once got into the soot from the fireplace....