Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Swimming with Aunt Jenni!

Sunday afternoon the kids and I went swimming with my sister, Jennifer, at her neighborhood pool. The kids love swimming and it was fun hanging out with Aunt Jenni. We were having so much fun that before I knew it we had been swimming for 1 1/2 hours!

Kate was a little hesitant at first so I snapped this pic of her in her new swimsuit and matching shoes that Aunt Jenni got her for birthday. It's so girly; I love it!




Jennifer used to be a swim instructor and she really worked a lot with Grant. He did so well with her and I was so proud of him! When it comes to Grant sometimes it is hard knowing what he is capably of or not. What comes instinctive to kids his age is not always instinctive to Grant. (a quick example is putting your arms out to catch yourself when falling. Grant doesn't do that so well and that is a big reason why he always gets so many bumps and bruises.) So when in the water I really am very nervous, not knowing if he will hold his breath or what not. He has no fear whatsoever and will just jump in if you're not watching him, well, and if you're watching him, too! We found a pair of floaties at the pool and tried them out. After a few minutes Grant began to get the hang of keeping his head up. He would jump in to Uncle Shawn and then Jen would work with him in kicking his feet and paddling his arms back to the side. I literally had to sit back 5 feet and "let go" and get out of the way. Jen just kept reassuring me that he was doing fine and not to worry. After he did that several times he "swam" around with me being about a foot or two away. After several minutes of him swimming around he grabbed onto me and said, "Ahhh." He was tired and needed a break! He was working so hard and I am so proud of him! I cannot wait until we swim again and Aunt Jenni can work with him more. Thanks, Aunt Jenni, for loving on Grant and helping him in swimming!

2 comments:

steele family said...

that is so great! i love her matching shoes.

Mikaela said...

What a little fish you are Grant! Keep up the good work!