Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy Birthday, Grant!

Today, Grant turned 5! It's hard for me to believe. The kids and I had a relaxing morning with blueberry pancakes and then a late morning nap. For a late lunch we went to see Nana, my mom, at the hospital where she works. We don't get to see her very often at work and the kids always love going to see her. After lunch Nana took us to the gift shop and wanted to buy a stuffed animal for Grant. Kate immediately found 3 dogs, grabbed them in both arms, hugging and kissing them, saying "My dog, my dog, my dog". It was so cute! She was very good when I told her she could only have one and needed to put the other two back. I was pleasantly surprised at her obedience over something that she is nuts about! :-) I did try to see if she would go for something other than a dog (one can always try, right?) and showed her a cat. She just looked at it and shook her head 'no' all the while clinging to the 3 dogs still in her arms!

Grant saw two dogs (yes, we love dogs if you can't tell!), and was trying to decide between the two of them when he saw the biggest dog of them all way up on the top shelf. I told my mom that she really didn't have to get him that one but she insisted because that is the dog Grant picked! He was so happy and held on tight to his new dog all the way to the car. And almost all of the way home! He took a nap with it and it hasn't left his side since we have been home. It's now sleeping with him in his bed! This dog is almost as big as him, or the size of Kate! It's so cute and soft and cuddly. I'll post pictures later from his birthday but want to share another highlight of Grant's day:

Grant blew out all five of his birthday candles in his cupcake tonight!!! This is so huge because he's never been able to do that before - ever! It did take him several times but he blew out every single one by himself. Joel and I were so proud of him. It's little things like blowing out birthday candles that make our hearts leap for joy. It's like a gift to Joel and me from the Lord, seeing Grant do something that we work so hard on being able to do!

I'll post some pictures later on, hopefully before Christmas!

2 comments:

mrs. rains & family said...

i love this post.

we love grant so much! it's such a blessing to have been part of his WHOLE little life. and to see him grow so much... it's amazing! we love you guys and are so blessed to have you as friends. i'm glad grant had such a great day!

happy birthday, grant!

Anonymous said...

wow that is so great to read Melody! We are all so proud of him and you and Joel.

But i can't believe its been 5 year already!! It seems like maybe 2 years ago i was waiting all day for him!! hahahaha :)

i love him so much and i am glad he had a great birthday!