Friday, December 5, 2008

Yeah Grant!

For the past several months Grant has been trying very hard to dress himself. Sometimes he can get his pants on completely but it wasn't until recently that he started getting both legs in the right hole and was able to pull them completely up and over his bottom. He is so proud of himself when he gets his pants on right and smiles and giggles. Putting on shirts have been a little harder for him. He always cooperates with us and will put his arms through once we have gotten his head through. Lately, he has started to get the hang of opening his shirt at the bottom so that he could put it on over his head and then pull it down over his head. A lot of times he gets frustrated by this point and needs us to help him finish.

This morning I'm not sure what prompted me but I gave him his pants and his shirt and said, "Put your clothes on." He was excited about that and did his Grant giggle while starting to put his pants on. I was changing Kate's diaper and before I was finished with her, he had his pants and his shirt on! He only got frustrated at one point with his shirt and that was in getting his second arm through the hole. He kept wanting to go through the neck but knew that wasn't right. So I did help him but just a teeny weeny bit. It's not that I've been in the way of letting him dress his own self but as his mother knowing that he needs help, I dress him talking him through it and having him do most of the work.

What surprised me the most, I think, was that he dressed himself almost effortlessly and mostly efficiently. It wasn't like it took him 5 minutes but like 30 seconds. I couldn't believe it! I hugged him and told him how proud of him I was and how he did such a good job! He was of course equally happy and ready to move onto "eea", signing "eat".

Go, Grant! Mommy is so proud of you!!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

How exciting! We are proud of Grant, too!

The Scotts said...

GO GRANT.....GO GRANT......

Mammy Loves you!